The vegetables come from South America, where it was cultivated many centuries ago, and tubers are rich in starch. Potatoes or potatoes are the fourth most commonly used as a food crop worldwide. This article will explain how to plant vegetables. Take note!
It is crucial that you consider that the potato is not a fruit as is the tomato, nor is it a seed, but a tuber that is part of a stem or an underground root that develops and widens to accumulate substances reserves in their cells.
When are you planting potatoes?
Before turning to the date for planting potatoes, it is vital to count on organic vegetables, a universal substrate, and a potato planter or pot of about 40 liters. Now, if you’re wondering when to plant potatoes, you commented that the best time to do this is from February to late March in Mediterranean areas, since in Cantabrian areas is best to wait a couple of weeks.
How to plant potatoes step by step
- Put the tubers of vegetables in an excellent light airy and from February to mid-March site. In this way, they will germinate. It is essential that you consider making use of organic potatoes, as these do not include any compounds that slow germination.
- Moreover, three weeks, choose the three tubers having the most significant outbreaks and arrange the pot to plant potatoes.
- Place the bag in a sunny site and add the substrate and tubers. Place a layer of about 30 cm or compost substrate and located above germinated tubers, leaving a considerable distance between them. Place them with buds facing up.
- Cover ends of the potatoes with a substrate layer or compost and water until damp. It is essential not to cover and fills the potting substrate.
- As the plant continues to grow, it continues to add more layers of substrate or compost, about 10 cm. In this way, you will make the plant grow vertically and generate many more roots and, therefore, many more potatoes.
- When it’s time to harvest potatoes, dumps the contents of the bag to collect them. The vegetables are ready to be harvested when the plant comes into flower and leaves begin to wither. From planting to accumulate, it will take about four months.
No need to reap all the potatoes together, because the greens are good for eating, then you have to go harvesting which is ready and leaves the other for subsequent days.
Tips for planting potatoes
Irrigates whenever necessary so that the soil is kept moist, but avoid ponding of water. If possible, textile planting vegetables in pots, since these drain excess water to perfection. Besides, waterlogged soil can cause problems of fungi and various diseases.
To plant potatoes in cold climates will have to wait until the frosts have disappeared since a mild freeze will not kill the plants, but if they hurt. Remember that during cultivation, different pests that have to deal with may appear fungicides, insecticides, and so on.